Thursday, May 23, 2013

House Plans

 As I stated in a previous post, my husband and I have been drawing up house plans for as long as we've been together.  That's over 20 years now!!!  So when it got time to hire an architect to take our vision and put it into real blueprints I wasn't sure what was going to happen.

This was our process:

    -- measured every room in our current home
    -- increased/decreased or kept the above measurements to determine room size on new house
    -- gave the architect every measurement we had taken to explain our thought process
    --  hand sketched the layout/flow of all of the rooms

Met with the architect:
 
   -- he asked us a few questions but mostly we discussed what we were looking for
   -- reviewed our sketch and made notes about ceiling height, windows, etc.

Then we waited for his first finished drawings:


We were super excited it looked like a real house that was functional!  Because let's face it, whenever you are sketching house plans by hand you have no idea what it really will look like to a trained professional.  Above is the first sketch we received, we have now made so many modifications I look back to some of the first sketches and think we have now come full circle back to what our architect originally drew.

My husband and I have loved every minute of this design aspect, the thrill of placing every door and window has been so much fun.  One thing we have done over and over and over again, and I don't know that we know how to stop is....MEASURE and then MEASURE again and again.  We just don't want any surprises when it comes to the actual build.  I am very visual and need to see for myself how the space will be used.  I'm thankful that my husband and I have been on the same page about our floor plan, and we want the same things.  Obviously, we will run into areas along the way that we will have to compromise on, but I'm so glad to start this process out on the right foot!!


No comments:

Post a Comment