Thursday, May 9, 2013

My First Blog Post

I don't know if I'm ready to call myself a blogger, but I am definitely ready to have an organized system where I get to write down funny sayings from my children, document our upcoming house building experience, and share the ups and downs of life.  I like writing down memories and reflecting back on them years later, I've done it since the 2nd grade.  My first diary was a red, leather bound book with lock and key and about 3X5.  The smallness of it I don't quite understand since I still remember how difficult it was for me to fit my pencil and hand on the small pages to jot down my day's adventures.  But I loved that diary, and all that my 2nd grade self thought was so important at the time.  I've continued to write life's events down, but in the craziness it sometimes is on a napkin that was left over from dinner, or a notecard I found wedged between the van seats, and not too surprisingly some of those "documented" events have never made it to an organized folder for me to reflect upon.  Part of my inspiration in now trying to blog was the passing of my mother-in-law two and half years ago.  It was amazing to me as we sorted thru her belongings that what mattered the most to me and my husband were her thoughts.  Old Christmas letters we had forgotten about, journaling the terrible twos of my husband, the notes in the margins of her Bible these are the treasures we took with us and find comfort in.  I hear her voice again when I reread her writings, I feel close to her again when I get to imagine what she was thinking when she wrote down her thoughts.  I hope that by writing my thoughts and funny stories, and not so proud moments that one day my kids will understand more about who I was when they were little and who I have become as they have grown.  It might be a little too sentimental and wishful thinking but a Mom can dream, right?!?!
So, let the blog begin...and we will see where it goes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment